15 August 2008

The Ones and Twos - Show 12 Play List & Thoughts

Show 12 has come and gone. Thanks to everyone who tuned in and especially to the few who called in to say hello (among them was my father, who had never listened in before and who demanded that I play something he liked ... which I didn't). The show went well enough—not my best show but certainly not my worst.

One thing I'm particularly proud of is that I utilized the turntables a lot more than normal and managed to not screw up by forgetting to pot down the turntable after the track so that the next one doesn't start playing on the air. I also tried a few new things. 1) A TV soundtrack set - fun but difficult because a few of the theme songs were less than a minute long and most are instrumental, 2) A second themed set - Rock the Bells sampler, 3) more advanced forward announcing, 4) music during mic breaks, 5) recording the stream (both a matter of necessity and convenience, though, I guess I'll have to go back to CDs since I think my campus wireless access is set to expire soon, possibly today).

Here are the the plays:

1. Andre 3000 - “Behold a Lady,” The Love Below
2. Mic Break
3. Menomena - “Muscle N Flo,” Friend and Foe
4. *The Roots - “I Will Not Apologize” feat. P.O.R.N. & Dice Raw, Rising Down
5. CAKE - “Arco Arena,” Comfort Eagle
6. *The Grouch - “The Bay to LA” feat. MURS, Show You the World
7. Mic Break
8. TV on the Radio - “Ambulance,” Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes
9. *Daedelus - “You’re the One” feat. Om’Mas Keith, Love to Make Music To
10. *4 bonjour’s Parties - “Magpie Will Peck a Hole in My Plaster Cast,” Pigments Drift Down to the Brook
11. Tr + Tr - “Stay Old or Grow Young,” Rumble
12. Mic Break
13. Nuclear Bubble Wrap - “THX (intro),” Advanced at Nothing
14. Murray Gold - “Doctor Who Theme (2006)”
15. Bear McCreary - “All Along the Watchtower,” Battlestar Galactica Season 3
16. Aceyalone and RJD2 - “A Beautiful Mine,” Magnificent City
17. Joss Whedon - “Laundry Day Freeze Ray,” feat. Neil Patrick Harris, Dr. Horrible’s Sing-A-Long Blog
18. Tree Adams - “Middleman Theme”
19. *The Submarines - “Maybe,” Honeysuckle Weeks
20. Joe Cocker - “With a Little Help From My Friends,” With A Little Help From My Friends
21. David Schwartz - “Arrested Development,” Arrested Development Soundtrack
22. Europe - “The Final Countdown”
23. Mic Break
24. *Sonantes - “Defenestrado,” Sonantes
25. Chaka Khan - “Tell Me Something Good (Live),” Epiphany Sampler
26. *The Herbaliser - “You’re Not All That” feat. Jessica Darling, Same As It Never Was
27. *Aretha Franklin - “Rock Stead (Alternate Mix),” Rare & Unreleased Recordings from the Golden Reign of the Queen of Soul
28. Mic Break
29. *The Cool Kids - “What It Is,” The Bake Sale
30. De La Soul - “Big Brother,” feat. Mos Def, Stakes Is High
31. Blue Scholars - “Inkwell (Crasehd-Cop-Car Remix)”
32. Little Brother - “Beautiful Morning,” The Minstrel Show
33. A Tribe Called Quest - “Can I Kick It?,” Anthology
34. The Pharcyde - “Passing Me By,” Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde
35. Q-Tip - “Vivrant Thing (instrumental),” Vivrant Thing Single [MIC BREAK]
36. Mic Break
37. *Whatfor - “I want a Girl,” Sooner Late Than Never
38. *Living Legends - “After Hours,” The Gathering

*Indicates Feature

Got some love for my hip-hop set -- someone called in to tell me that "Passin' Me By" is his all time favorite song and that I put a big smile on his face. His call put a big smile on my face. I always seem to get a lot of calls when I play hip-hop, which I think is because hip-hop is seriously underrepresented on the KALX airwaves. Which is a shame since we have a TON of classic, probably difficult to fine LPs to work with.

Matteo from Ancient Organics called in. I now know more about the production of ghee than I would ever care to know, but I'm glad that I got to chat with Matteo. Ancient Organics will be at the upcoming Slow Food Nation Festival, which I hope to attend so that I can grab some of this ghee.

No comments: