29 May 2009

Show 15 - Left-Field Hip-Hop

Ever heard of left-field hip-hop? Yeah, neither had I until fairly recently. I noticed it was popping up as a genre tag on a lot of artists searches I was doing on All Music Guide, which piqued my curiosity. Turns out left-field hip-hop lives at the intersection of electronic music and hip-hop -- two things I already love independently of one another. Also, upon discovering that Kid Cudi falls under the left-field category, I took this as an opportunity to open the show with "I Poke Her Face," the play on that insidious Lady Gaga song "Poker Face" off of his latest mixtape. Does the fact that I find that hilarious make me a self-hating woman? Probably.

Left-Field Hip-Hop
25 May 2009
  1. Kid Cudi - "I Poke Her Face," Dat Kid From Cleveland
  2. Mic Break: RJD2 - "Two More Dead," Dead Ringer
  3. Onra - "I Wanna Go Back," Chinoiseries
  4. Boom Bip - "Mannequin Trap Door I Remember," Seed To Sun
  5. Bizzart - "Stumbling Blocks," Bloodshot Mama
  6. El-P - "Flyentology," I'll Sleep When You're Dead
  7. Dabrye - "The Lish," One/Three
  8. Daedelus - "At My Heels," Denies the Day's Demise
  9. Mic Break: Onra - "Full Backpack," Chinoiseries
  10. J Dilla - "Stop!," Donuts
  11. J Dilla - "People," Donuts
  12. J Dilla - "The Diff'rence," Donuts
  13. Flying Lotus - "RobertaFlack," Los Angeles
  14. Madlib - "Shades Of Pete (Super)," Beat Konducta Vol. 5-6
  15. Madlib - "King Chop (Top Line)," Beat Konducta Vol. 5-6
  16. Prefuse 73 - "Blacklist," Vocal Studies + Uprock Narratives
  17. Alias - "Angel of Solitude," The Other Side of the Looking Glass
  18. Mic Break
  19. RJD2 - "Ghostwriter," Dead Ringer

No comments: