10 July 2009

Show 18 - Michael Jackson Tribute


In addition to how unexpected his death was, the craziest thing about Michael Jackson's passing -- for me at least -- is that up until a few weeks ago, I had never lived in a world without Michael Jackson. Granted, MJ occupied a peripheral place in my world growing up mostly limited to that song he did for the Free Willy soundtrack. (As blasphemous as it is to say at this time, I have never owned a Michael Jackson record.) While he wasn't someone I listened to with any regularity, Michael Jackson was always someone I enjoyed. And for the record, "Thriller" stands as the quintessential Halloween track.

Over the last few weeks, the King of Pop's catalog as gotten more than it's fair share of attention. As important as it is to pay tribute, I'm sure I wasn't the only one getting a little tired of hearing MJ everywhere from MTV to NPR. For last month's bonus Yo! KALX Raps! I decided to honor Michael Jackson's legacy by looking at hip-hop songs that have sampled his work.


Show 18 - Michael Jackson's Legacy
29 June 2009
[Sampled Song and Album Listed in Brackets]
  1. Naughty By Nature - "O.P.P.," Naughty By Nature [Jackson 5 - "ABC," ABC]
  2. Mic Break : Michael Jackson - "Bad (Dub Version)," Bad
  3. Little Brother - "Watch Me," The Minstrel Show ["With a Child's Heart," Music & Me]
  4. Jeru the Damaja - "Mental Stamina," The Sun Rises in the East ["Billie Jean" (drum kit), Bad]
  5. Ghostface Killah - "Street Opera," More Fish ["Ain't No Sunshine," Got To Be There]
  6. Puff Daddy - "It's All About the Benjamins (Remix)," No Way Out [Jackson 5 - "It's Great to Be Here," Maybe]
  7. Murs - "Can It Be (Half A Million Dollrs and 18 Months Later)," Murs For President ["I Wanna Be Where You Are," Got To Be There]
  8. Aaliyah - "Got To Give It Up," One In a Million ["Billie Jean" (drum kit), Bad]
  9. Mic Break: Michael Jackson - "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough (Instrumental)," Off the Wall
  10. 2Pac - "Letter 2 My Unborn," Until the End of Time ["Liberian Girl," Bad]
  11. Nas - "It Ain't Hard To Tell," Illmatic ["Human Nature," Thriller]
  12. Jay-Z - "Izzo (H.O.V.A.)," The Blueprint [Jackson 5 - "I Want You Back," Diana Ross Presents the Jackson 5]
  13. Kanye West - "Good Life," Graduation ["P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)," Thriller]
  14. DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince - "Rhythm Trax - House Party Style," He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper ["Thriller" (Vincent Price's laughter), Thriller]
  15. Mic Break: Michael Jackson - "The Way You Make Me Feel," Bad
  16. De La Soul - "Breakadawn," Bulhoone Mindstate ["I Can't Help It," Off the Wall]

No comments: