30 July 2009

Show 19 - Summer Jams


When I was growing up in the Seattle area, my brother and I got our hip-hop from KUBE 93.3. I don't know if they still do this, but every summer, KUBE would throw a huge festival, appropriately named Summer Jam. (I imagine this is not unique to Seattle or KUBE.) I never had to occasion to go to Summer Jam, but the warm weather of a few weeks ago made me want to throw my own Summer Jam. (This seems especially appropriate a few weeks late given the unbearable heat the is currently oppressing the Pacific Northwest, from whence I just returned for a visit.)

There are certain tunes that just sound like summer. Some because of their content (DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince's "Summertime" for one) and others simply have that summery something that goes perfect with a glass of lemonade and a warm July breeze. Consequently, the Summer Jams theme of Show 19 was less rigid than past shows and more about capturing and setting a mood. It was my Summer Jams mixtape of sorts.

Show 19 - Summer Jams
13 July 2009
  1. DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince - "Summertime," Homebase
  2. Mic Break: Mungo Jerry - "In the Summertime"
  3. Q-Tip - "Let's Ride," Amplified
  4. Blu & Exile - "First Things First," Below the Heavens
  5. Pep Love & Jay Biz - "Days of Blueness," The Shamen
  6. Common - "Make My Day," Universal Mind Control
  7. Mic Break: Sublime - "Doin' Time (Marshall Arts Remix Instrumental)," Sublime (10th Anniversary Edition)
  8. Blackalicious - "Blazing Arrow," Blazing Arrow
  9. People Under the Stairs - "San Francisco Knights," The Next Step
  10. Blue Scholars - "The Inkwell," Blue Scholars
  11. A Tribe Called Quest - "Can I Kick It?," People's Instinctive Rhythms and the Paths of Rhythm
  12. Mic Break: Exile - "Your Summer Song," Radio
  13. Coolio - "Fantastic Voyage," It Takes a Thief
  14. Zion I - "Country Baked Yams," The Takeover

No comments: