09 March 2009

Show 8 - Bringing the Noise Pop

In the spirit of the 17th annual Noise Pop indie music festival here in San Francisco, I decided to take a look at the handful of hip-hop acts on the lineup.

Even though the festival is dedicated specifically to indie pop and rock, they were able to wrangle some impressive hip-hop names, mainly Kook Keith of the Ultramagnetic MCs who was scheduled to do a Dr. Octagon vs. Dr. Dooom show. Also of interest was N.A.S.A., which isn't a bunch of astronauts spitting about landing on the moon (though that sounds pretty awesome), but a DJ from Brazil and an American DJ which gives them their name North America South America. Their debut album is a smorgasborg of artists from different genres from Santogold of Seu Jorge. The track I played for Yo! KALX Raps! featured David Byrne singing the hook alongside Blacklicious' Gift of Gab, Chali 2na from Jurassic 5 and Z-Trip. This is undoubtedly one of the most exciting, interesting and unique releases of the year that is likely to have a lot of strange bedfellows bumping the same tunes.

I also played one of my all-time favorite live tracks from the Roots and offered some cuts from hip-hop acts that will be featured at the upcoming Sasquatch Music festival this summer in Washington.

It should be mentioned that my good buddy, Gaz, was visiting from Los Angeles and joined me in the studio! She was a lot of fun to have with me and reminded me that I should really look into getting a Yo! KALX Raps! sidekick. Anyone interested?

Show 8 - Hip-Hop @ Noise Pop
23 February 2009
  1. Zion I - "The Takeover," The Takeover
  2. Mic Break: Exile - "It's Coming Down," Radio
  3. N.A.S.A. - "The People Tree," The Spirit of Apollo
  4. Kutmasta Kurt - "Pmd (Of Epmd) - Straight From the Heart," Redneck Olympics
  5. Crown City Rockers - "No Sense," Earthtones
  6. Mike Relm - "My Heart," Spectacle
  7. Dr. Octagon - "Blue Flowers," Dr. Octagonecologyst
  8. Mic Break: Exile - "Stay Tuned (here)," Radio
  9. The Roots - "The Seed/Melting Pot/Web (Live)," Home Grown! The Beginner's Guide to the Roots, Vol. 2
  10. Mic Break: Exile - "Love Line," Radio
  11. K'naan - "America," Troubador
  12. The Knux - "Cappuccino (Remix)," The Hole
  13. Exile - "Jeppy," Unknown Album
  14. The Grouch - "Show You the World," Show You the World
Notes:
  • All the mic beds featured music from Exile in order to highlight his new release, which was forthcoming at the time the show was broadcast.
  • In reality, only one mic set was dedicated entirely to Noise Pop, which is because there weren't that many hip-hop acts at the festival, it being an indie rock/pop festival and all. I decided to play the Roots track in the spirit of live shows and because it's one of my favorite live tracks. I actually prefer the live version of "The Seed" featured on that track to the original recording.
  • I played K'naan also to feature an upcoming and noteworthy release.
  • The Knux are going to be playing at the Sasquatch Festival this summer at the Gorge in Washington, so that was another nod to live shows.
  • I ended with the "Show You the World" because it features Raphael Saadiq, who I was going to see perform at the Fillmore.

No comments: